Monday, April 5, 2010

3-D

So, it is looking more and more like 3-D is here to stay. Currently movies that were filmed in 2-D are being doctored up after the fact to be 3-D and most blockbuster type movies planned for the future are planned to be filmed in 3-D. TVs are even starting to come out in 3-D although most of us won't be able to afford one until after the Apocalypse.

I have only seen two movies in 3-D and they were Up and Avatar. Up was lame. Avatar was wild. Avatar was such an event type movie that I enjoyed the 3-D but at the same time it made it more of an event and less of a movie I could immerse myself in.

I have two main problems with 3-D today. One is the glasses. I understand the need for the glasses for it to work but until we figure out a way to do 3-D without them I will not be a fan. The entire time I watch a movie in 3-D I think two things. The first thing I think is, "Wow, this movie looks amazing. How in the world is it three dimensional?". The second thing I think is, "Wow, these glasses are so annoying. how in the world am I supposed to focus on the movie with these things on my face?". Not good. Apparently Nintendo is coming out with a Nintendo 3D DS which will be in 3D and may not require glasses. If this technology works and they can work it into the movie platform this will alleviate one of my issues.

My other issue is the price. In Columbus the prices are $11.75 a piece right now or $9.25 for matinee. For real? I pay $18.18 a month to be a 3 DVD at a time member of Netflix. Let's figure I watch 2 (I watch way more) movies a week, or 8.67 movies a month. That means I pay $2.10 a movie for both Katherine and myself to watch it, compared to $23.50 at the theater in 3-D. Over 11 times more! Now, I love going to the movies. It is one of my favorite past times. But, I also take pride in running a good family budget and there is just no way this works into it.

In the past people who spend like crazy have affected very few but themselves. But, because 3-D movies keep breaking records production companies are not only making more movies in 3-D, but getting more screens switched to 3-D and raising the prices even more. If you will pay it they will charge it. So I just want to take this time to thank all of the people out there who despite the scary economy are spending so much money on 3-D that I may never be able to afford it again. Call me cheap, but I am not paying 11 times more that I have to for any product.

Anyways, I am not a fan of 3-D. Too expensive and the glasses make me feel like I am watching a movie and less like I am a cat like pirate wearing a suit made of iron while floating in a house held aloft by balloons. Everyone else enjoy the theaters, I will be at home remembering we are in a recession.

1 comment: